Friday 22 March 2013

Page Turner Book Tours - The Empire by Elizabeth Lang




“For Peace from Pieces they would very much like for you to write about anything related to reading and/or writing. I like guest posts like this that are non-specific. It gives you free reign.”

Writer scratches her head. Sometimes free reign can be a dangerous thing, or leave you staring at a blank page an hour later because the scope is just sooo big. Where do I begin… That sounds like a good start to a song. But I swear I’ve heard it somewhere before. Okay, I’m procrastinating. Time to write…something.

One of the Empire characters, Charles Sester, enters her consciousness.
Sester:  What are you doing?
Writer:  I have to do this topic for a guest blog. Write on anything related to reading or writing.
Sester:  You’re writing about us.
Writer:  Not necessarily.
Sester:  What could be more interesting than me?
Adrian (drily):  Any number of things.
Argus:  Of course, Adrian’s idea of interesting would put the rest of us to sleep.
Adrian (glares):  String theory in multi dimensions is a fascinating topic.
Argus:  I rest my case.
Adrian:  Your idea of interesting involves any barbaric ritual that ends in the rest of us mopping up the blood.
Argus:  It’s called Null Grav Football. It’s not barbaric. It’s a sport. There are teams and everything.
Adrian:  You use clubs.
Argus:  They’re not clubs. They’re called repel rods.
Adrian:  You hit each other over the head with them.
Argus:  It’s combat. A little injury is to be expected otherwise what’s the point?
Adrian (stares at him):  I thought you said it was a sport.
Argus:  It’s…not math class.
Adrian:  That much is certain.
Argus:  Did he just insult me?
Sester:  I’ll tell you for a price.
Argus:  Shut up, Sester. This is all your doing.
Sester:  How’s that?
Argus:  You’re here, aren’t you?
Sester:  It’s flattering that you think I’m behind every evil plot against you.
Argus:  Are you denying it?
Sester:  It’s much more fun not to.
Writer:  This is going way off topic.
Sester:  Is it?
Writer:  Of course it is. This is supposed to be about reading or writing.
Adrian:  Sester is right.
Argus:  What? When did you start agreeing with him?
Adrian:  I’m not agreeing with him. He just happens to be right. There is a difference. A subtle one, granted. Shall I explain?
Argus:  Please don’t.
Writer:  All right. Explain.
Argus:  You just had to ask.
Adrian:  We are all characters in your Empire universe.
Writer:  Right.
Adrian:  Your mind conjured us up with physical characteristics, behavioral profiles, even a detailed history.
Writer:  True.
Sester:   What he means is that we are part of your writing process, as opposed to symptoms of your growing mental delusions.
Adrian:  That is fascinating.
Argus (groans):  No, it’s not. Someone get me a repel stick.
Sester:  What he means is that for anyone else, it might be considered the symptom of some mental instability, but for a writer, it’s perfectly natural.
Writer:  I’m glad you approve.
Adrian:  It is not our place to approve or disapprove. We’re merely figments of your fertile imagination. Without you, we have no existence.
Writer: Gee. That sound so…humble. What do you want?
Adrian:  Nothing really.
Argus:  She doesn’t believe that for a moment.
Adrian:  I was simply stating a fact.
Sester:  Weren’t you complaining the other day that your lab is too small?
Adrian:  I may have mentioned it in passing.
Writer: Another ‘fact’?
Sester:  Or merely another delusion? You created his lab after all. How could it be too small? Shouldn’t it be as big as it needs to be?
Adrian:  A lab that adjusts to the requirements of the user. Interesting.
Writer:  Don’t even think it.

Back to the topic of…writing. When my characters first started talking back to me, I thought I was losing my mind. For many newbies, it is a unique and special experience that we soon find out is quite common to writers.

When we infuse a character with life, they become ‘real’ to us—or some of us, since not all writers are the same, nor are our writing experiences the same.

I’ve had characters refuse to do things because that is not ‘them’, and it is humbling to realize that they usually are right. I’ve had ones that insist they’ve had prior relationships with other characters and writing it that way made it far more interesting. I’m not sure where it comes from, maybe some unconscious creative place that writers go to for inspiration. But as long as it results in great characters, I don’t mind.

PAGE TURNER BOOK TOURS PRESENTS…


The Empire (The Empire series)

Blurb:

"It will be interesting to discover which will make you beg. Will it be the pain or the pleasure?"


How do you tame a man without breaking his spirit?

The galaxy is under siege from alien invaders. The Empire is the only force that stands in the gap, trading the freedom of its citizens for a tenuous security.

Amidst this chaos, Lt. Adrian Stannis is a brilliant scientist trying to stay out of the limelight. He hides on a research vessel plying the Outer Rim and finds peace of a sort with Kali Mirren, a psi-enabled humanoid. But his days of anonymity may be coming to an end. Someone has discovered his secret and is determined to make him pay for his treachery. He must finish the project he abandoned years ago, one the Council deems essential in its fight against the aliens, but things are never that simple where Adrian is concerned.

Is he more man than machine, or have years hiding behind a mountain of logic eroded his humanity? Can he learn to love and will he be able to survive the tangled web of political expediency and psychological manipulation that surrounds him?

Will Kali be able to save him from himself, or is there a mystery surrounding him that may explode in their faces?

Everyone wants to know the truth, but will it set them free?






About Elizabeth Lang:



I'm a science fiction writer who started off life as a computer programmer with a love for reading, especially science fiction, fantasy and mystery.

Being in computers, I found my writing skills deteriorating so I decided to take up writing. It became a joy to create characters, stories and worlds and writing soon became a passion I couldn't put down. As a writer, I like to explore, not only the complexity of characters but the human condition from differing points of view. That is at the heart of the Empire series, of which 'The Empire' and 'The Rebels' are the first two of a four books series.

You can connect with Elizabeth Lang at the following places:








1 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for hosting this bit of silliness :) I hope people enjoy it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Books Sold - 6 Nov 2011 to 31 May 2012

Some of you have asked me for my total number of books sold to evaluate KDP Select so here it is. Bear in mind, that results will vary based on genre and author. Good luck and remember, Keep Moving Forward.

Total - 120,836

1. Excuse Me, My Brains Have Stepped Out
Amazon Kindle - 42,559
Paperback -
Smashwords -

2. Frequent Traveller
Amazon Kindle - 35277
Paperback -
Smashwords -

3. Dora's Essentials - Books, Blogs & Smiles 1
Amazon Kindle - 462
Smashwords -

4. Mirror Me Martha (Short Story)
Amazon Kindle - 281
Smashwords -

5. Drive On Hope (Short Story)
Amazon Kindle - 190
Smashwords -

6. Blog-A-Licious Directory 2012
Amazon Kindle - 1
Smashwords -

7. Pandora's Reading Room 1
Amazon Kindle -
Paperback - N/A

8. The Cat That Barked (Short Story)
Amazon Kindle -

9. Dora's Essentials - Examining Anxiety
Amazon Kindle -

10. Dora's Essentials - Books, Blogs & Smiles 2
Amazon Kindle -

11. Elevenses from Around the World
Amazon Kindle -

12. Genetically Modified Foods vs. Sustainability
Amazon Kindle -

Blog-A-Licius - Sherbet Blossom

SherbetBlossom

Blog-A-Licious

Dealightfully Frugal

Blog-A-Licious - The Few, The Proud, The Wife

Blog-A-Licious

My Soul Slippers

Blog-A-Licous - Textbook Mommy

Blog-A-Licious - Blue Frogs Legs

Blog-A-Licious - Pretty All True

Pretty All True

Blog-A-Licious - tbaoo

tbaoo

Blog-A-Licious

Powered by BannerFans.com

Blog-A-Licious - The Invisible Art

Blog-A-Licious - Rediscovering Domesticity

Rediscovering Domesticity

Blog-A-Licious - Quiver Full

Blog-A-Licious - Cori's Big Mouth

Blog-A-Licious - Great Fun

Greatfun4kids

Blog-A-Licious - Busy Wife

Blog-A-Licious - Steps To Happiness

Powered by BannerFans.com

Blog-A-Licious - Toby & Max


Blog-A-Licious - Amelie

Raising Amelie

Blog-A-Licious - Peas In A Pod

Blog-A-Licious - Riley

Blognostics - Poetry

BlogNostics

My Awards - September 2010

My Awards - September 2010
Awarded By Jo Frances

My Awards - May 2011

My Awards - May 2011
Awarded By Alejandro Guzman

My Awards - May 2011

My Awards - May 2011
Awarded by Kriti Mukherjee

My Awards - April 2011

My Awards - April 2011
Awarded By Roy Durham

My Awards - June 2011

My Awards - June 2011
Awarded By Sulekha Rawat

Book Blogs Community

Indie Author Blog Hop


indie author blog hop
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next

In Support Of

In Support Of

Support Me - KIVA

Celebrating Authors

Book Signing @

Read Me - E.Zine Articles

Copyscape

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Software